Michael Wilhelmson joined Harris & Brun as Associate Counsel in November 2015. Michael was born in Fort William (now Thunder Bay) Ontario in 1964. He grew up in the Niagara Peninsula. He obtained an Honours degree in Journalism at Carleton University in Ottawa in 1987. After working as a freelance writer and documentary producer, he obtained a combined degree in common law (LL.B.) and civil law (B.C.L.) at McGill University in Montreal in 1992 and was a researcher and writer for Brierley and Macdonald’s treatise, Quebec Civil Law: an Introduction to Quebec Private Law. As an associate with the Litigation Department of Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt in Toronto, Michael’s practice included general commercial litigation, insurance defence (primarily motor vehicle and occupiers’ liability litigation), plaintiff’s side personal injury, family law and marine insurance claims. He appeared at trial and chambers in the Ontario High Court, as well as before the Ontario Court of Appeal and the Ontario Insurance Commission.
He moved to Vancouver in 1997 and was called to the BC bar the same year. He has practiced commercial and insurance defence litigation, appearing as counsel in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal, as well as before administrative tribunals, including the Pensions Appeal Board, WCAT, UMP Arbitrations and the BC Securities Commission. Michael was also a freelance writer for the Lawyers Weekly newspaper.
Between 2002 and 2013, Michael was a senior defence counsel with the firm of Stewart & Company before focusing on Plaintiff’s side personal injury practice with Doig & Associates from 2013 to 2015. Michael has extensive experience in the area of personal injury and insurance litigation, including:
- Numerous claims involving mild to severe brain injury, spinal cord injury, psychological injury, post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, myofascial pain syndrome, chronic pain, multiple injuries and complex symptomatology;
- Family Compensation Act claims;
- Part 7 benefits litigation;
- Conflict of laws (interjurisdictional insurance);
- Section 148 and UMP arbitrations;
- Appellate and Supreme Court chambers practice;
- Insurance coverage; and
- Professional negligence and medical malpractice.
Michael lives happily in North Vancouver with his wife Leanne, their 5 children and innumerable cats and other small creatures.
For more information give Michael a call or email directly.
- Brain Injury Conference, April 2014, presenting paper, “Uses and Misuses Of Collateral Witness Evidence in TBI Litigation: 20 Years Experience”