Peter Collins was called to the British Columbia Bar in 1978. After practising in the early 1980’s with a major real estate company and a large Vancouver law firm, he moved to the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia where he practised as a defence counsel from 1986 to 1999.
While with ICBC, Peter developed a particular practice niche in complex personal injury cases. In particular, Peter became recognized for his ability to handle cases involving the effects of injury coupled with certain systemic diseases and symptom constellations. Examples of this specialized knowledge are: fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, thoracic outlet syndrome and complex regional pain syndrome. Peter is also highly experienced in forensic evidence relating to the interpretation of MRI’s (magnetic resonance images) in cases involving brain injuries.
Peter prepared a book on causation in fibromyalgia and chronic pain which was published in-house at ICBC, and which has become the definitive work of its kind for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia. Peter is widely requested as a speaker for Continuing Legal Education of British Columbia seminars, and in-house seminars involving lawyers and insurance adjusters, relating to his fields of study and interest.
Peter has developed a province-wide reputation for his knowledge of medical and psychological issues, themes, and literature. His technical command of medical and psychological issues makes him a much sought-after cross-examiner of psychiatrists, neuropsychologists, neuro-radiologists, physiatrists, and other medical experts.
In his spare time (which is very little!) Peter is a landscape gardener, connoisseur of Napa Valley wines, collector of antiques, and player of classical guitar.
* Peter Collins Law Corp
- Firman v. Asadi, 2019 BCSC 270 – Successful defence against $1,304,000 claim for significant personal injuries. Court awarded judgment of $679,000.
Memberships & Professional Affiliations:
LL.B. Dalhousie University, 1977
Seminars and Presentations
- Personal Injury Issues – Course Presenter
- Defending Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Cases – Course Presenter
- Discovery Practice 2007 – Course Presenter
- Defending Personal Injury 2006 – Course Presenter
- Personal Injury Conference 2006 – Course Presenter
- Defending Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Cases – Course Materials Author
- Defending Personal Injury* – Course Materials Author
- Personal Injury Conference – 2006* – Course Materials Author
- Personal Injury: Medical Issues September 29, 2000 – Course Materials Author